Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sample Post

I’ve been so anxious to get my hands on Going Vintage ever since I first saw the tiniest bit of information about it. I’ve always been very, very fascinated with the 60′s and 70′s. Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite movies, after all. I sometimes feel a little cheated, like I was meant to be a teen or young adult in that era. I mean the music alone was incredible. Another reason I was super excited for this book was that I absolutely adored Sean Griswold’s Head by Lindsey Leavitt. It was everything that I love in a contemp. All of this might have coalesced into expectations that were just a little too high, because I didn’t love this book like I wanted to.


Mallory discovers that her boyfriend of 13 months is actually married to another girl on his favorite online game. She just happens to discover the emails between the virtual husband and wife, and they get a little too close to real for her. So they break up and needless to say Mallory is a bit distraught.  When she comes across a list written by her Grandma before her junior year, she decides to go vintage and do everything on the list.

So, the reason I just explained all of that (because I usually don’t) is because Mallory’s reasons never added up for me. I definitely get why she dumped her boyfriend. That’s a no-brainier. But she then throws everything into this list. She is consumed by it. It’s her way of getting over The Tool and finding herself again….At least, that’s how it’s explained, but it just never really aligned for me. I didn’t feel this big connection to her feelings and the list. That just really took away from the story for me.
Another thing I was semi disappointed about was the lack of 60′s elements. Mallory tries to dress in 60′s style clothes, but that’s mentioned only briefly. The ‘going vintage’ aspects really  revolved around getting rid of technology that wasn’t around then and that made me a little sad.

So, enough negativity, yes? There were several things about Going Vintage that I really enjoyed. It’s funny. I found myself giggling often. The relationship between Mallory and her sister Ginnie was great. Really, it was probably one of my favorite sister relationships ever. The banter between them was so entertaining.  There’s also a Boy. An intelligent, sweet, hipster boy. I pretty much adored him.

Going Vintage definitely wasn’t the book I thought it was going to be, but I think a lot of that has to do with Too High Expectation Syndrome (it’s a thing). Many, many other readers have absolutely loved it. As a whole, I enjoyed it. I was never bored, but it just wasn’t the book I wanted it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs
Graphic by Giftseasonstore